On Thursday 9th of April members of the community were invited on a tour of Stirchley Baths. I was pleasantly surprised at how far the project has progressed since the last tour in December. And now you can really see the rooms forming.
Here’s a message from the site managers about the plans for next month:
- Building ‘water tight’ with flat roofs felted and windows installed
- Mezzanine floor completed with original balcony balustrade installed
- Cupola No.2 stonework complete with new cupola fixed
- Re-pointed external brickwork cleaned with scaffold elevations starting to be dropped
- Underfloor heating in pool area installed
- Floor screed installed
- Plasterboarding to all areas
- 2nd fix carpentry started
Co-site manager Jack told me that they are almost at the stage where floorboards can be laid in some of the newly created rooms.
Your community centre will open in September 2015 to co-incide with Stirchley Late Summer Bash.
it all looks so good….will look forward to using the cafe when visiting family in the area.
Hi i used to go to these baths in in the 40s .Mom did not have a bath room only a bath on wall so i went every week on a Sunday Morning .I also went to swimming baths most days. I used to go go to Bournville school and then to Kings Norton ,
I had many happy hours at the baths,
I am now living in the Lake District but have lot`s of happy memories.I wish you well in your wonderful project .
Yours Gerald Cox late of Bournville lane .
So lovely to hear you have so many fond memories of the baths. We will be assembling a history group soon, so if you have any memories you’d like to share please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m sure there are many things you’ll remember about who worked at the baths and how many minutes you got for your money etc. Hope to hear from you. Louise